Friday, May 17, 2013

Crazy Love: Overwhelmed by a Relentless God



A few years ago I bought the Crazy Love book and worked my way through it.  I decided to teach it this year to a very special group of high school girls.  They were ready to grow - we all were! 



After I made this decision the Little Lumpy decided to make itself known.  Before our first class began my diagnosis was done and I was on The Journey. 


Crazy Love talks a lot about living for Christ about what legacy you’re leaving behind – about meeting God, standing before Him at life’s end – basically we spent a lot of time dissecting our relationship with Christ if we were REALLY serious and some chapters are just plain TOUGH to get  through even without a Little Lumpy taunting you daily.  


“Something is wrong when our lives make sense to unbelievers.” ― Francis Chan.


So I wondered – WHY God?  Why lead me to teach this class during this time of my life?  Each week I listened to Francis Chan challenge us to fall in love with him and I kept thinking Well YES Lord I am loving you more but well… isn’t there more for me to do HERE first? 


How does a Christian wrestle with meeting a God they love and can’t wait to see with wanting to live?  Dying seems like the easy way out. To come to Heaven, spend my days worshiping a God I am madly in love with – no more pain, no more worries, no more frustrating people to deal with.  BUT I have more to do here.  More souls to reach for Christ.  More people to love.  More prayers to pray.   God filled me with energy and humor, created me strong and with a transparency that touches people.  I have a peace about this – no urgency that these are my last days, but I have a never ending desire to glorify God through this and oddly enough I feel completely loved by Him.  Why come through and not come out CHANGED? I do not want that! 


“We never grow closer to God when we just live life. It takes deliberate pursuit and attentiveness.” ―Francis Chan


I want to step up and step into what God has for me.  Have you ever stopped to really think what if I don’t have tomorrow or next week or next month to get it right?  What if you don’t have years to GET OVER stuff, to STOP being fearful, to FORGIVE others, to REACH others?  BECAUSE you don’t.  Ask anyone 30 or over – life goes by FAST.  So GET OVER IT. 


“When it's hard and you are doubtful, give more.” ― Francis Chan 

I am so grateful that God has surrounded me with a great could of witnesses – those who have gone ahead of me and those who are running this race with me.  What a magnificent group to be a part of! 


Why did I choose this book to go through again with a group?  Because God knew I would need to remember just how much God loves me! 

If you haven’t picked Crazy Love up yet and worked your way through it I recommend it – you’ll get to a chapter or two where you’ll need to set it down – re-evaluate what you really are doing here on earth and GROW. 

No comments: