Thursday, February 14, 2008

Did you ever.....

Did you ever hear a song that just made you stop dead in your tracks? That happened to me this week. The name song of was “Walking her home”, by Mark Schultz. This song really got me to thinking and I decided to write this blog. Oh by the way I guess I should start by saying that this is not Charlene, but John, her husband. If you have never heard the song, you can listen to it at Rhapsody.com Listen Now for free (you might have to install their small listening program, but it just took me a few seconds to do the install and I think it helps understand the this blog.)

I remember exactly the day I fell in love. It was Saturday, March 17, 1979. I had been asked by to go to a Sadie Hawkins dance. I knew the girl that asked me, but not that well. We had a mutual friend, Gary, and she would bring us munchies from “A” lunch (she had the first lunch period, we had the second) to our biology class. I remember before we could go to the dance, I had to met her parents. I remember going from a work day in the auditorium straight to her house. What her parents must have thought when I showed up with my pants ducked taped together because they had ripped while I was working. But I would later come to realize that that probably helped me bond with my father-in-law, after all duct tape fixes everything – right Don. Well they let me take their daughter to the dance. I did not drive yet, so my parents dropped us off at the dance and her dad would pick us up and drop us off at Shakey’s Pizza. If I close my eyes, I can still see her in her flannel shirt and overalls. The only thing I really remember from the dance itself was that we got married and the preacher said I could kiss the bride-our first kiss.

After pizza and I was allowed to walk her home since we only lived a few blocks from Shakey’s. As I said good night at the garage door, she gave me a quick kiss and swish in the door she went. I don’t know how she was feeling on her side of the door, but I was soaring. I walked home and kept thinking of her. In fact, on Sunday, I walked down to her house and asked her if she would like to be my steady girl. I remember that we were inseparable. We were always getting the look from the principal because we had our arms around each other all the time. Some people even joked that we were connected at the hip. I must admit, there was a dark period of a couple of weeks in the fall of 79 when I broke up with her. I remember being very miserable. I now know that is was my pride that kept me from going back and asking her to go back out with me sooner. We did eventually get back together and never have I ever questioned our relationship again.

As we have grown up together, I have seen this cute girl mature up into an amazing wife, mother and friend. No one tells you how to be a parent, but it just came to her. I am amazed at the amount of love she has for our kids. They may not always see it, cause they know she makes them tow the line, but I see the love it that. She knows what they are capable of and she wants them to excel in everything they do. I cannot begin to count the tears she has shed thinking she was not a good enough mom, but Char rest assured you are the greatest mom I know.

I also realized how lucky I am to have such an incredible wife. I know that so often it appears that I take you and our relationship for granted. I will work at that because I really do not, I actually treasure what we have. When I see you or sometimes when we talk my spirit is lifted. In fact, when she was in WDW training I called her cell just to hear her voice. Unfortunately, I was disappointed because I recorded her voice mail message so instead of hearing her sweet voice I just got me. I was bummed, really bummed.

As I continued to listen to the song I began to realize and get very excited that we still have a very long life together and judging by the past 29 years (24 in marriage), the next 29 are going to continue to get better. I look forward to spending each and every day I have left in this world at your side. Even typing these words I am excited at the thought of what God has in store for us. You once asked me when I knew you were the one and I said when you said I do. When I think back on it now, it was at the Sadie Hawkins dance that I truly fell in love. And every year since then my love for you has continued to grow. So as I wrap us this blog, I have just once simple question to ask you oh friend of mine…will you please be my Valentine?

Love John, xoxo

11 comments:

kimberdee said...

This is the sweetest letter I have ever read!

John, I can not wait to meet you in September. Charlene is a very special person and it does not take anyone long to realize that.

I have a tooth ache from the sweetness of this letter! :o)

Marilyn R said...

Ohhhhhh John, the song made me cry. Then, after reading your post it brought a tear to my eye too - not as big of a tear as the song did but still a tear. *G* Thanks for letting us share in your Valentine's present to Char! Happy Valentines Day!

Emily said...

awww, Charlene...you've got a keeper on your hands. :)

Amy said...

That is probably one of the sweetest things I've ever read. John, you are an exceptional husband. Charlene, you are an exceptionally lucky woman. We should all be half as lucky as the both of you and your children.

I can't wait to see you again, Char. John, I count the days (OK, I'll let Char do that!) until we meet!

MUAH! :o*

Carol Beth Scott said...

Oh my goodness.... John, I'm still crying. Charlene, I spoke to you, what, 10 times in the last 2 days! You could have warned me. I see that I shouldn't worry about you freezing this weekend. Clearly, your love will keep you warm. Hugs to both!

Jessica said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww....

mom said...

Ohhhh, what a treasure this letter is! Print out and put it in a special place...I know it's already been etched on your heart!

May you two continue to grow in love for each other!

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

O'Ma said...

WOW...What a son-in-law....
WOW...What a daughter...
WOW...What a song...

Together what a BLESSING...

I thank GOD often that He brought you both into our lives...and then the added Blessings...GRAND kids.

WOW...GOD IS GREAT!

O'Ma said...

ooops...JOHN

Forgot to add this...your duct-tape pants was not that night...I do remember your mom calling all apologetic about the pants and she assured me that they are in the trash never to be warn again.

Since knowing you...duct tape does have new meaning...ha ha...

Glad to have you in our family of love.

Alicia said...

That was a beautiful Valentine.

Bren said...

What a beautiful letter. I hope you said yes, Charlene!!!
I am getting caught up. So glad you did the dentist thing!