Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sunday Drive #9

Shipshewanna, Indiana - Part One


One of my favorite things to do when we go to Shishewanna is drive on the country roads. The animals are so close to the road and not really afraid of people. It seems they should be because most of their owners don't have cars, so this large, noisy car - in our case - Suburban coming down the road would seem scarey. Here this guys seems to really want attention from me.

I'm often baffled by what the Amish are allowed to use, own and associate with. Sometimes it seems a contradiction to me. Here this hard working man is using horses to pull something factory made - Why not make the cart out of wood, if modern things are forbidden?


I really had to take this picture, even though on Blogger it doesn't show up well. The Wells Fargo Bank sign with the horse and buggy seemed perfect. It took quite a bit of waiting to be able to snap this without seeming too touristy. I don't believe the Amish like to be photographed, so I waited until just the right moment.

6 comments:

Bren said...

Great pics!!

Jessica said...

Great way to capture the horse and buggies right by that sign! You should send that to the bank for promotional material!

chickadee said...

wonderful photos! i love that your house says come on in. mine does too. i am always shocked when someone knocks. all my family just walk right in.

Wilma L. said...

Hi Char! Neat pictures! I love going to Shipshewana, too. It is a neat place. HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

Marilyn R said...

I am amazed many times at what the Amish have and use. One of my favorite things is to see the teen age Amish girls wearing rubber flip flops. They just don't seem to go with the type of clothes they wear.

Warren said...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ