Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Kitchen Gadgets

Bren has an interesting Blog today about kitchen gadgets. You should check it out! She inspired me to share about some of my kitchen gadgets, and to make a confession of sorts.

I obviously have a need to chop, grind, slice and dice.

My confessions will begin with this wonderful cheese grater - I think this is the 2nd time I've taken it out of the box. I keep envisioning myself serving the most fabulous tasting fettuccine Alfredo in a perfectly decorated dining room, using this magnificent tool. NOT! Olive Garden is just 20 minutes away! I don't even have any Italian music.




Then there is this fancy smancy slicer, grater - (notice the trend) julienne- shredder thingy. I have forced myself to use it, because after all I BOUGHT it. It does slice cucumbers for cucumber salad very thin.




Okay, I'm not sure what I was thinking when I bought this little egg slicer. The first time we used it the eggs must have been super duper HARD because it broke. (yes I peeled them first!) Naturally I was able to get a new one free...I mean I would only buy the BEST egg slicer available =). Since then it's been in the drawer, waiting for someone to desire sliced eggs. I suppose, I should put it out on the counter...maybe they don't know I have it!





Well, what do I use you may be wondering? When I want to grate something I use this old fashioned grater. No figuring out how it goes together and it fits on or in every cutting board or bowl I would use. Fits easily into the dishwasher too.




And then for my absolute FAVORITE kitchen gadget..drum roll please.............




Yes, it's just my KNIFE.

A wise woman gave me one of these knives after spending some time in my kitchen. I believe it is a tomato slicing knife, but we use it for EVERYTHING. It is thin, flexible, cuts bread as well as the average potato and yes it is fabulous for slicing a tomato very thinly.

My sister has tried to sneak it home and when I come to help her prepare for a party I'm instructed to just "bring the knife".

Now as for my sister - she has some very interesting kitchen gadgets and I'm sure my friend Marilyn does too!

7 comments:

Jessica said...

Hey! I am still waiting for one of these tomato knives!!!!

Bren said...

We did not get to see your tater twister! I think anything that starts with "tater" is probably a mistake. You have some pretty upscale gadgets, though I love your grater...the one you use...I have one just like it!

Anonymous said...

MAkes me nostalgic for those Ginsu knives....

Marilyn R said...

Wow Char, now I know where get that cheese shredder when I want to make the alfredo sauce and pretend I am at Olive Garden! Yep, I have plenty of kitchen gagets in the drawer, the hutch, the cabinet.......

Charlene said...

I no longer have my Tater Twister or Fry Daddy for that matter. I stopped using them and one day they left the house during a Fly Lady Boogie!

Jan Parrish said...

LOL. I don't buy those gadgets because it take more time to get them out and set them up and clean them than it's worth. Just like my juicer...

BTW - I've posted part four on my dream series.

O'Ma said...

You cannot expect anything different...You grew up in the "La Machine Era".