Monday, September 24, 2007

Soup's On


Autumn was in the air on Saturday around here. So when I was at the store I decided to make chicken soup for Sunday's lunch. I had no idea it was going to be 10 degrees warmer on Sunday, but hey give a girl a break I don't have much time for TV these days.

My darling husband eats soup all year around. It can be 90 degrees outside and he'll order cream of potato soup. BLAH...I'll have a bite, but to me soup is for cooler weather.

A friend of mine was making soup a few weeks ago and her daughter was making dumplings. Now I have tried dumplings before...but they usually disintegrated in the soup never to been seen again. My darling son #2 and husband are like gaga over these dumplings. So I say to myself "self, you should be able to master dumplings!"

Sunday afternoon I set out to master the dumplings, with the soup simmering in the pot and water boiling for the noodles eh, I mean dumplings I decided to "experiment".

So here goes nothing....I drop one in and it almost doubles in size and floats at the top....who knew how long this was going to take. After many tries - taste this one, taste that one I got sidetracked. When I came back to the pot they were gone....yes I did say gone...GREAT bring on the noodles, I'm a Dumpling failure!

I stirred the pot and low and behold the little buggards were sitting at the bottom and this time...they were DONE!!

After more than an hour of fussing with the precious dumplings I served them up and they were a hit!! Now they are GONE for real! My only regret? I didn't remember to take a photo of them to share with you.

2 comments:

mom said...

Mmmmm! I love to make soup as soon as the weather cools. I have never, however, attempted dumplings! Maybe that would be something to do as a soup making challenge this winter :-)

Blessings,
Tammy ~@~

Charlene said...

Tammy, if I can do it...anyone can!!